The Golden Duck Awards, which are designed to encourage science fiction literature for children, have been given annually since 1992. The awards are presented every year at Worldcon or the Noth American Science Fiction Convention (NASFiC). There are several awards given each year, most carrying a small cash stipend. Winners are selected by a group of teachers, librarians, parents, high tech workers, and reviewers.
- Picture Book
- Given for books written for very young children.
- Eleanor Cameron Award for Middle Grades
- Given for books written for grades 2 to 6.
- Hal Clement Award for Young Adult
- Given for books written for grades 6 to 12.
- Special Awards
- Given to acknowledge a book, author, illustrator, or publisher not fitting in one of the other catagories. This award is created on an ad-needed basis.